[MERGE/RFC] Add dotted-decimal revision numbers to merge_sorted output

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Sep 7 03:31:31 BST 2006

Hi,
    This patch adds dotted decimal revision numbers to the output of
merge_sorted. I haven't profiled it carefully, but it should be
low-overhead. I've kept compatability, but we might want to just make it
always do this and deprecate getting output without the revision
numbers.

The revision numbers are assigned like CVS:

For a revision with number X, each child of X gets a revision number of
X.SEQUENCE.1. IFF SEQUENCE is 0, then the childs revision number becomes
X[:-1] + (X[-1] + 1) instead, which is what gives us the mainline.

Revisions with no parents are calculated as though they had a parent
with revision number 0.

Cheers,
Rob