[PING][MERGE] Waiting on locks

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 12:00:36 BST 2006

+1 for 5 min default timeout:

> The cronscript use case is interesting, but I think it is rare enough
> that the default should be to block if not forever, then at least for a
> "very long time", like 6 hours.

* cron scripts are definitely not isolated/rare use cases
* I'd rather let it timeout and maybe retry later
   (could be specified with commandline parameter like --max-retires=3)
* If nothing happened in 5 minutes, something is probably wrong,
  and would probably require the user to retry or do something.
* Infinity is a very long time. Non terminating tasks is a big no no,
especially on servers.
* 6 hours is way too long too, the script must actually fail/[terminate with
message] if something is wrong
  and if nothing happened in 5 minutes something is probably wrong.

+1 for globally/user configured timeout
* seems like the timeout differs per user case rather than per branch:)
* a specific site (like at home or at work) has certain network constraints
  (like dial-up or broadband) not the branch.

my 2 cents worth
Marius

The source is strong in this one.