nested and partial tree

David Allouche david at allouche.net
Wed Sep 6 10:25:30 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:
>>> That's pretty scary. But I would like to advise anyone
>>> from going forward with that "good idea", there are too many
>>> internally-inconsistent Arch repositories out there.
>
> The idea of turning changesets directly into knits is just too pretty
> for me to let go of, but I'm doing TDD and I won't merge anything that
> doesn't produce the same results as baz-import.

The issue I have is that I think that many baz imports did not even have
a well defined result, because of things like:
* incomplete ancestry information
* corrupt repositories that tla could be tricked into building by adding
a cachedrev at the right place
* broken revlibs (that affects checkout when restarting an import IIRC)

Since baz-import was a one-off transitional feature (if only because it
was so slow to run), and since I did not really see a way of doing it
much better, I eventually shut up. But multiplying the importance of
those problems by providing a "transparent" plugin seems like a bad idea.

The problem is not in the plugin code, but in the fact that a lot of
(most?) significant Arch branches are hopelessly internally
inconsistent. I am sure you are the most competent person on Earth to
implement such a plugin, but it's still going to be garbage-in-garbage-out.

--
                                                            -- ddaa