Bzr 0.10 release candidate 1

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Mon Aug 28 16:14:33 BST 2006

> I think since we are changing to time-based releases, then we have to
> give somewhere. We might *hope* to land things for certain releases,
> but we can't guarantee they will get done in time. (Like tags, smart
> server, etc).

>From a user perspective, it might be nice to not suggest a given
release number for a feature until the feature is actually going
in for real in this release, otherwise it creates unnecessary
frustration when the release comes out and the feature isn't there.

One possible way to handle it is having a "feature status" page
explaining how the development of certain features that take a
while to get ready is moving. Then, when it's really close to
completion, or when the feature is accepted for merging in the
main development branch, it gets into the candidate features for
a release. They might still be rolled back, but at least it
becomes more unlikely, and something like having most of the
proposed features not going in will be really rare.

A feature-status page like this, if updated frequently, would get
people excited about things really being worked on, without
actually promising a release time.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net