baz-import-branch: assertion failure

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Aug 25 22:39:23 BST 2006

Ben Finney wrote:
> Howdy all,

> $ bzr baz-import-branch ./rose-etc.mainline/ root at polar.local--rose-2005/etc--mainline--0
> mporting root at polar.local--rose-2005/etc--mainline--0 into /home/bignose/Projects/rose-etc.mainlineCleaning up
> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.AssertionError:
>   at /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/inventory.py line 613
>   in detect_changes
>
> $ cat /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/inventory.py | head -n 617 | tail -n 9
>
>     def detect_changes(self, old_entry):
>         """See InventoryEntry.detect_changes."""
>         assert self.text_sha1 != None
>         assert old_entry.text_sha1 != None
>         text_modified = (self.text_sha1 != old_entry.text_sha1)
>         meta_modified = (self.executable != old_entry.executable)
>         return text_modified, meta_modified

> Again, this is the /etc directory of a private server; I'd rather not
> distribute it. What other diagnosis can I do to help address this?

This could be another case of a symlink turning into a file, or vice versa.

detect_changes is assuming that source and destination are both file
records, because those are the only ones that have a 'text_sha1' that is
not None. Someone, one of your inventory entries does not have a valid
sha1 sum.

Either that, or there is some other bug causing the text_sha1 to not be
filled out properly.