Meld's Bazaar support

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Aug 24 01:05:30 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 18:56 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>>> That is, shipping a core dump of a python program requires a
>>> distribution licence from the copyright holder. Shipping a .py file on
>>> its own does not.
>
> Under that interpretation, it would be easy to write shims to allow
> proprietary clients to use GPLed libraries, and distribute only the
> shims in source form.

Isn't that what the 'nvidia' binary drivers do?

>>> Its not about loophools.
>
> For me, it is.  I'm going to honor an author's intent, whether or not
> they have legal standing to enforce it.  I consider implementation
> language a technicality.

Well, Robert does raise a good point. In that when we distribute 'bzr'
we really are distributing the source code. Not compiled code, not
obfuscated code, etc, etc.

And there is no legal issue with me taking GPL code and bundling it into
a proprietary program, as long as I don't distribute that program
without giving out the source.

Certainly you can say there is no problem with me using a GPL library in
a program that I have at home, if I never share that program with anyone
else. GPL is a distribution and copying license.

> So I'm asking again: What is our intent with bzrlib?  Do we intend for
> it to be used by BSD and proprietary clients?

I wonder that as well. I've thought about whether LGPL would make sense,
but I don't know if we want to allow a proprietary front end.

On the other hand, what about a company that uses 'bzr' to version their
code, and they want to integrate it into the build system. Is it
reasonable to let them use bzrlib directly?