[ANN] bzr.webdav: a writable hhtp transport

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Aug 22 16:33:20 BST 2006

Vincent LADEUIL wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> https://launchpad.net/products/bzr.webdav
>
> is a plugin which implements  the DAV protocol client part (well,
> the part needed for bzr at least).
>
> Its performances are horrible,  bzr have recently switched to the
> append-to-update approach  which means that  each time a  file is
> updated it should be downloaded, updated locally, uploaded.

Well, the old format *always* had to do 'download, update, and upload'.
The new format doesn't, so on all transports that support it, we can
save the download & update time. That is why we switched, because Weave
performance is very slow precisely because of these
download+update+upload steps.

Probably we could do some alternative optimizations for transports that
don't support append. For example, we would have already downloaded all
of the knit index, so we know how to update it, rather than downloading
the whole thing again.

But the expensive one is the knit data file, and that we haven't
downloaded yet.

I'm pretty sure we are reasonably good about only doing 1 update per
knit file. Because even doing N appends to the same file is a lot slower
than doing 1 append of length N.

Does WebDAV not have any sort of Append command?

> This plugin was born today  (well, last week), give it some time
> to mature. If you care about your data, make backups.
>
> Still reading ? Ok, the good news then.
>
> The good  news is that the  performances can hardly  be worse and
> that there is some solutions to improve them.
>
> The other  good news is  that it has  been tested on  DAV enabled
> Apache 1.x and 2.x and comes with a transport test server that is
> able to pass the 'bzr  selftest' (minus two tests: lock_write and
> copy_to for which I need some lights).

If you want more interactive help, I'm usually available on irc during
US work hours, and there are usually others their as well.

> The intent  of this plugin is  to offer a solution  to people who
> are behind  firewalls (the real  hard to get through  variety) or
> those who can't install a smart server.
>
> Enough hype.
>
> I  welcome any  kind of  remark  on any  subject (well,  somewhat
> related to the plugin).

Just as good natured poke, you used 'hhtp' again in the title :)

> Happy reading, reviewing, testing,
>
>       Vincent

I'm downloading now, I'll let you know if I see anything.