[Merge] Slow socket

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 15 08:22:22 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 00:09 -0700, Robey Pointer wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2006, at 21:02, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 19:24 -0700, Robey Pointer wrote:
> >>
> >> This is kind of a side issue, and I don't mean to derail the patch
> >> review, but didn't we recently discuss moving the test helper
> >> classes
> >> into a separate file?  sftp.py is already pretty cluttered with test
> >> helpers.  I think this patch is an excellent excuse to move them to
> >> new file.
> >
> > Bad Robey, no bikkie for you.
> >
> > Seriously, keep patches small and do 1 thing in each patch.
> >
> > Either move the content, merge to mainline. Then do this work,
> > merge to
> > mainline.
>
> Well that's hardly fair. :)  I don't think I've had a single patch go
> in without people requesting that I make unrelated changes "while the
> code is being touched"...  (Though this is probably also why I agree
> with the sentiment.)
>
> Anyway, was there ever consensus on moving the test utility functions/
> classes into a separate file?  I'd be willing to submit a patch on
> the sftp part of that.

I think there is a natural tendancy to look at code around the thing
someone is doing.

But that leads to longer and longer discussions, and to help keep things
moving I think it makes sense to be more focused on a group into 'yes,
this bit [here] is good, merge as is, and [this other bit we need to
talk more].

See for example the little things of dirstate I'm breaking out all the
time, and what aaron is doing for nested trees.

-Rob