0.10 release process - time based release?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 1 23:25:01 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 08:51 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> I like the release dates, and the concept of a feature goals for 0.10.
>
> I would tend to prefer a bzr.dev which stays as a general integration
> target, and just fork of an explicit bzr-0.10 branch at the
> appropriate
> time. And you can revert whatever you want out of that.
>
> I'm guessing you want to freeze bzr.dev because the main developers
> dogfood on that. Or maybe you don't want to deal with cherrypicking
> bzr.dev changes into bzr-0.10.
>
> Anyway, I'm happy to see time based releases. I'm guessing a 1-month
> cycle is going to be a little bit fast. If you are actually going to
> freeze bzr.dev during that time.
>
> I think we could do a 1-month cycle with release branches. But if you
> feel strongly about freezing bzr.dev, I'm sure you can convince me.

Its about community feedback..

If we say 'branch 0.10 on the 21st, and cherry pick from there,' its
likely that many developers will not be using 0.10 day to day. As its
not had any stabilisation time asking for testers - doing a 0.10rc1 -
would be premature at this point.

By having a freeze on the mainline, which is what a lot of people use,
we get folk using it immediately and the bugs and regressions being
identified without conflation from new mainline changes.

The freeze period is two weeks, which is not long, and I'm sure that new
features can sit on branches for that period happily - patches often do
do that anyway.

-Rob