bzr and ntfsmount (fuse) issues?

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Aug 7 16:52:03 BST 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On  6 Aug 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> Perhaps chmod also fails if it can't represent the mode on NTFS?  (It
> should be able to store it, but perhaps this implementation can't.)
> That would seem a more likely cause for "not supported" (rather than
> "read only").  We should probably just ignore that error from this
> point.

Well, what's funny is that 'os.chmod()' on windows w/ NTFS is just a no-op.

It does seems like we should just swallow the exception. But I'm
hesitant to give that as the general solution. It seems like we should
be informed when a chmod() fails. Perhaps it would be sufficient to
change it to a warning. Though a warning would probably spam the screen
for every file created.

Maybe a one-time per instance warning? So if you start bzr, it keeps a
flag as to whether it has produced the warning. Doing just 'mutter()'
seems incomplete.