Question on GnuPG keys

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 2 22:12:38 BST 2006

John Whitley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> Martin Pool's key that I have is A0B3E88B
>>
>> If I do a search for 'mbp at sourcefrog.net' I can see the key is available
>> on subkeys.pgp.net. It happens to be the 6th key when searching for just
>> plain "Martin Pool".
>>
>> You also can't do 'gpg --search-key A0B3E88B' but you can do
>> gpg --recv-key A0B3E88B
>
> Thanks.  I now realize that gpg on Cygwin appears to be having issues
> with this key (e.g. it imports fine on OS X from subkeys.pgp.net).
> Between that and various key searches failing I was misinterpreting
> Cygwin's failure.  I'll go dig to see if this bug needs reporting...
>
> -- John

It could very easily be the gpg version. I believe one version of gpg
(maybe 1.4.2) had problems with keys with certain sizes. Are you getting
some sort of 'Invalid ... size, 2 bytes'?

I believe the solution is to either revert to 1.4.1, or upgrade to
1.4.3. I don't believe 1.4.3 is officially available, so use setup.exe
to revert to 1.4.1.

I could be wrong on the exact details, but I just went through this
recently.