switch to a past revision

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 2 19:22:36 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>
>>> I think there is a set of bugs. Both 'bzr log' and 'bzr revno' show the
>>> full branch history, rather than just the working tree. I think all
>>> commands that work on the local working tree should use *just* that.
>
> I think this is the kind of problem I was trying to avoid when I argued
> for having just one revno per location.

The only way we could do that is to expressly forbid pushing to a branch
that has a tree we can't update. Otherwise, things are out of sync
anyway, and we just have no way to tell that they are. And especially no
way to update the tree and preserve local changes.

Having 2 last_revision indicators does complicate things. But it is also
the only way to solve certain problems.

>>> It does need to be fixed. I suppose it would be possible for 'bzr revno'
>>> to split, and give both the working tree and the branch revno. But I
>>> think for simplicity, it should always give only one. (Perhaps a flag to
>>> give the other one)
>
> If it gives only one, shouldn't it always produce the branch revno?  If
> there's a workingtree, there's guaranteed to be a branch, but there's no
> guarantee that there's a workingtree if a branch is present.
>
> Aaron

I disagree, because if you are in a working tree, you want to know the
current state of the tree, not the state of the branch.

I think it should use the branch revno if there is no tree, but the tree
should take precedence.