switch to a past revision

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 2 18:54:15 BST 2006

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 05:24:51PM +1000 I heard the voice of
> Martin Pool, and lo! it spake thus:
>> It's be good to fix.  I agree 'update -r' would be the way to do it.
>> It should be really trivial as all the underlying machinery in
>> workingtree is already there as far as I know.
>
> Related to this (and something I mentioned in IRC the other week),
> there's no way to get the revision of the working tree.  e.g, if I
> have a branch with 600 revisions, and create a [lightweight] checkout
> at revision 500, I don't have any way to easily tell later what
> revision I checked out.  `bzr revno` tells me the branch revision, but
> not which my working tree is at.  The closest I can get is the
> "Working tree is out of date: missing N revisions." in bzr info, but
> that's a whole lot of other irrelevant info for answering the specific
> question, as well as requiring me to do subtraction (and that's what
> computers are supposed to do!)

I think there is a set of bugs. Both 'bzr log' and 'bzr revno' show the
full branch history, rather than just the working tree. I think all
commands that work on the local working tree should use *just* that.

It does need to be fixed. I suppose it would be possible for 'bzr revno'
to split, and give both the working tree and the branch revno. But I
think for simplicity, it should always give only one. (Perhaps a flag to
give the other one)