understanding shared repo and push

Davis, Jacob Jacob_Davis at sra.com
Tue Aug 1 18:30:48 BST 2006

The method you describe is what I am used to with CVS/SVN, or any other VCS, when (in typical fashion) it is used by several users to make changes to a single set of files.
The way I'd like to use BZR is the other way around. I want a single user to make changes to many different sets of files on remote machines. Ideally I could do this without having to log into each machine individually to execute commands. I might accomplish this by various other means but it seems like BZR has some unique features that could make it useful for what I want. It would give me a sort of centralized approach to system configuration change management without having to figure out http://www.cfengine.org/ . And since BZR supports Windows it is (hopefully) also cross-platform.

I think I am mostly there. I init a repository on each client and add all the files to it that I want to track.
Then I check out each of the client repositories into my central shared repository.
I can then make all changes to the client files form the central repository and commit them, which will update the client repositories. I still need to execute "bzr update" on the clients for the working directory to update, which is not ideal, but I do have centralized tracking of changes and if the central server is ever unreachable I can still commit changes on the clients to their local repository and update the central server later.

-Jake