New benchmark tests

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 1 06:40:42 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 18:50 +0200, Jan Balster wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> The branch is now registered at launchpad:
> https://launchpad.net/people/jan-merlinux/+branch/bzr/benchmark-improvements
>
> We are going for having all benchmark related work (use cases,
> network simulation and benchmark config, possibly web page
> generation) from our side in that branch for now - shouldn't
> be much effort to separate later and it's work that is
> dependent on each other plus we are not yet at your level of
> P2P development skills :)

I strongly encourage you to use separate branches for each independent
feature you are building. It is much more effort for folk reviewing code
to see unrelated code to the thing they were reviewing in a review.

For instance, say you have 4 things being built in parallel. Call them A
through D. And each commit that works on one of them gets a suffix of
-1, -2 etc.

In one branch you might do some commits like so:
A-1
A-2
B-1
C-1
A-3
B-2
C-2

(this is 'start A', 'A is done', 'do B', 'do C', 'damn, A was not really
done', 'neither was B', 'neither was C')

now to review them, you have to get clever with difftools, or the
reviewer has to review them all at once - long reviews, muddy waters -
or do the separation themselves - more effort.

Its *really* a lot cleaner to have three branches:
A-1
A-2
A-3

and
B-1
B-2

and
C-1
C-2

and get them reviewed separately.

If you need to have them working together, you can merge them via a
number of different merge patterns that preserve the ability to get at
each conceptual 'patch' (all of A, or all of B, or ..) after the merge.
But I dont believe that to be a requirement of the patches you are
working on.

In short - branches are cheap, lets do more of them.

-Rob