[BUG] win32: support for network paths is broken

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jun 26 18:20:38 BST 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> I want to attract attention to next win32-related problem.
>
> In windows local network is used special form of paths that started with
> \\computername, like this:
>
> \\Bialix\path\on\remote\machine\
>
> Before bzr switched to overall use of urls to filesystems this paths
> was works. At least it works in official release 0.8.2.
>
> And now urls accept only paths that starts with drive letter, i.e.:
>
> C:\local\path\
>
> And don't want to work with network paths with following error:
>
> bzr: ERROR: Invalid url supplied to transport:
> u'file:////:Bialix/path/on/remote/machine/': Win32 file urls start with
> file:///X|/, where X is a valid drive letter
>
> I'm personally relatively rarely use network paths but I think that bzr
> should support them.
>
> --
> Alexander

Thanks for the heads up on this. It turns out that Firefox uses a
file:// URL for this as well. Only it looks like:

file://///host/path

file:// + / for root + // for server

I would have thought they could have also gone for:
file://server/path

Internet Explorer allows you to type the 5-/ URL to get to a share,
though it converts it back to \\server\host once you are there. (That,
and it changes the window so it is a local browser, rather than a
internet browser, all the toolbars change, etc)
It also accepts file://server/path.

Firefox accepts the form 'file://server/path' but if you look at the
title bar, internally it is treating it as file://///server/path.

I'll put this in my todo for this week.