[RFC] BzrTagging updates

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 10:55:03 BST 2006

On 6/20/06, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at updating Gustavo's patch for tags to work with current
> Bazaar. I've made some updates to the BzrTagging
> (http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrTagging) wiki page to contain the spec of what
> I'd like to implement.
>
> The main two open questions are:
>
>  * Should the tags control file be a branch or repository property ?
>  * How do we handle conflicts?
>
> Please comment :-)
>

>From the BzrTagging page:

bzr tag -r400 FOO        # Create a tag FOO which points to revision 400

Since this will allow me to set a property on a "old" revision. My
question is if we can think about doing this in a generic way, to
allow us to add notes/annotations to a revision.  What I could see as
something very useful is

bzr note -r2 -m 'this revision introduced bug #423'
bzr tag -r2 'test-tag'

Which would then show up in bzr log
$ bzr log -r2
revno: 2
tag: test-tag
committer: Erik Bågfors <erik at bagfors.nu>
branch nick: test
timestamp: Wed 2006-06-21 15:13:55 +0200
message:
  foobar
note:
  this revision introduced bug #423

And you should then be able to do
bzr log --notes, which would only show revisions with notes.
bzr log --tags, which would only show revisions with tags,

etc.

What do you think.

/Erik