[RFC] Revision id aliases

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jun 20 16:48:40 BST 2006

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:44:56AM -0500 I heard the voice of
> John Arbash Meinel, and lo! it spake thus:
>> A PQM gives you that as well, but it may be too heavyweight for what
>> you are looking for.
>
> Way, way, way too heavyweight.
>
> I have waged a long and (mostly, but not entirely) successful campaign
> against certain people I work with, to convince them that "every few
> months" is not an appropriate frequency to run 'cvs commit'.  As a
> result, they've graduated to committing at 4:53pm every Friday with
> the log message "this week's work".  Just IMAGINING trying to tell
> them, "OK, now you run these few commands and save these files here,
> then craft up this email, and include them to..."...   No.  That's
> just not happening.
>
> And even that aside, it's too heavyweight for *ME*.  If *I* have to
> craft up emails just to commit, I'll put it off until I give up.
>

> From where I sit, PQM looks like a hack to get around the lack of a
> smart server.  A smart and flexible and imaginative hack, maybe, but
> still an enormous hunk of both computational and human overhead
> compared to just typing "bzr ci" like $DEITY intended.

Well, we already have the post-commit email_sender plugin from Robert.
It is a little bit of per-user configuration, and then it sends an email
for any commit within certain branches, etc.

http://bazaar-vcs.org/PluginRegistry

has the link to it. I haven't set it up myself, but the pqm and Robert
both use it to post changes to the 'bazaar-commits' mailing list.