Submit by mail

Hermann Kraus hermann at physiklaborant.de
Sun Jun 18 15:41:34 BST 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 05:12:33 +0200, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:

> As Aaron said, it should go in branch.conf, for two reasons:
>
>   - all branches under a particular directory (e.g. all bzr branches)
> can be sent to the same location without configuring them individually
>
>   - different users may want to configure it separately
>
> Having a default which does propagate with the branch might be useful,
> so that people can get a checkout and then immediately submit changes.

Ok, I'll add this to branch.conf and copy it when branching to the new
destination.

> OK.  To start with I suggest you just run sendmail; that won't do on
> Windows or some unixes, but it's enough to start with.  Make sure
> there's an easy way to cancel sending.

When the user does not enter any text sending will be cancel. Just like
with commit.

> As discussed on the spec, you will need to find a base revision to know
> which revisions to submit.  It should be possible to give that with -r,
> but I think the overwhelmingly common case will be to give another
> branch location and find the common ancestor between the two.
>
> My suggestion would be that you start by finding the ancestor with
> another branch and print out a bundle from that point on.  Then add the
> feature to show it in an editor, then possibly send it to a mail client.

I think bzr submit will handle -r and branch locations the same way as bzr
bundle and therefore use the same code. I think duplicating it would be
bad. If something has to be chanced it should be done in the code for
bundles.

Hermann