remove vs rm vs forget

Jari Aalto+usenet jari.aalto at cante.net
Fri Jun 16 17:28:30 BST 2006

* Fri 2006-06-16 Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley AT utoronto.ca>
>> It's quite obvious and natural to comprehend that that "bzr" work on
>> repo side and not on current working directory/tree(?) side without
>> explicit additional option (the suggested "--delete").
>
> I don't think it is obvious.  'bzr cat' behaves like 'cat', 'bzr mv'
> behaves like 'mv' (renames the file as well as changing the inventory),
> so it's easy to imagine that many people would expect 'bzr rm' to delete
> the file as well as removing it from the inventory.

I think it is obvious in the sense, that no other operation will
actually delete data. 'bzr cat', 'bzr mv' do what they are supposed to
do -- exactly what users expect.

However being cautious is understandable with 'bzr rm'; it's something
that the system will refuse to do without epxlicit:

  bzr rm --delete

Which pretty much is equivalent ot "do what I really mean" or "Yes,
I'm sure".

I would find this elegant compromise (in contrast to what SVN does).

> I agree that it's dangerous to do that, so I don't think we should do
> that by default.  And so we should remove that alias.

Eh, please don't remove "rm", it's so handy to type :-)

Jari