remove vs rm vs forget

Sergei Organov osv at javad.com
Fri Jun 16 10:08:12 BST 2006

jari.aalto at cante.net (Jari Aalto+mail.perl) writes:
> * Fri 2006-06-16 Matthew Hannigan <mlh AT zip.com.au>
>> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 07:45:42PM +0300, Jari Aalto+mail.perl wrote:
>>>     rm
>>>
>>> Has established history since day one. The meanin is clear even in context
>>> of VCS:
>>
>> ?  SVN deletes the file as well as removing from repository.
>> Or do you mean working directory (if so you're confusing the
>> heck out of me.)
>
> - CVS does not delete file (user has to)

To slightly clarify, user has to either delete file in the working dir
*in advance* and then use 'cvs remove [filename]', or, alternatively,
use 'cvs remove -f filename' to delete and remove in one step.

BTW, my usual use-case with CVS is to delete some files in the working
directory using whatever tool I like, then just issue 'cvs remove' from
the top of the working dir, -- CVS then recursively marks all the files
that I've deleted as removed, -- very handy.

--
Sergei.