brz 0.8.2 - Disable progress bar and enable it only on -v option

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jun 15 19:55:16 BST 2006

Jari Aalto+usenet wrote:

> That can be turned on as needed. The lesson from *every* software
> project is *not* to turn on options by default but upon user's
> request, because there are no defaults that would work for all.
> (Think Windows; what default do you dislike?)

I think you are the only one advocating that progress bars should be
disable by default. I think the rest of us are okay with a knob to
disable them, but the default should be a command line tool that lets
you know stuff is going on, not that it is just sitting there spinning.

Especially because bzr is slow on certain operations, it is important to
have reasonable progress indication. (An initial 'bzr get' without any
feedback makes you wonder if anything is actually happening, this used
to be the case).

There will always be defaults. And a project should always strive for
the 90% mark. Where the majority of their users are happy just by
unpacking the project and using it.
I don't think a project should strive for the 'do absolutely nothing
until the user configures everything to turn all the actually useful
features on'.

I realize the progress bars are causing you problems. And we are willing
to give you a way to disable them. But I think most people are helped by
them, not hurt.
(Yes, the flashing knit index progress needs to go away, but there are
lots of ways to fix that without disabling everything).