brz 0.8.2 - Disable progress bar and enable it only on -v option

Jari Aalto+mail.emacs jari.aalto at cante.net
Thu Jun 15 17:50:25 BST 2006

* Thu 2006-06-15 Wouter van Heyst <larstiq AT larstiq.dyndns.org>
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 02:55:04PM +0300, Jari Aalto+mail.emacs wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> The `-q' is used commonly to supress informational output. The
>> progress bar is something other than "messages"; on category of it's
>> own.
>>
>> In normal use the progress bar does not offer any useful information,
>> because it just flickers and causes slowdown on modem connections (try
>> 48k modem), so it should have separate option to turn it on.
>>
>> I can see where progress bar could be useful:
>>
>> - importing big projects
>> - with bug files
>> - using slow hard disk or remote (slow) network connections
>>
>> But for regular local disk use, it is not necessary.
>
> I'm confused as to where you see this progress bar where it is not
> needed, I sure do need it on branch/push/pull.

90% of my work is on local disk, where this progress bar only flickers
wildly providing no actual useful information. The situation is worse
from Emacs buffers through remote connections to another site where I
log into (Emacs can use multple terminals).

Jari