[MERGE] no default ignores

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Wed Jun 14 15:57:37 BST 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 23:52:15 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 09:41 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > I think it might make sense to bump the format of the ignore file, so
> > that existing working trees would still use global ignores, but new and
> > upgraded working trees would not.
>
> This is a lot more involved that it sounds: at a minimum it involves a
> new repository format... Jan Hudec has done a lot of work on a clean way
> to transform .bzrignore into versioned data instead of being a versioned
> file, and I think we should continue with that with the intent to merge
> bits of it as they mature, or all of it eventually.

Well, for now what could be done is something like CVS does. It has some
defaults and more than one place to read patterns from, but whenever it reads
a special pattern '!', it discards all the patterns read so far. Which would
be pretty easy to implement and go with it until the -- indeed very involved
-- versioned data stuff gets implemented.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>