[MERGE] no default ignores

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Tue Jun 13 06:59:29 BST 2006

Matthew Hannigan <mlh at zip.com.au> writes:

> One could imagine a 'bzr init --guess-ignore' (as default even)
> that would mostly do the right thing.
>
> 	$ bzr init .
> 	Note: guessed ignore-pattern: using python,linux ignores. (*.pyc, *.swp, *~)

Could be funny, but please don't make such heuristics the default! As
any heuristics, it would relatively easily be broken (what should bzr
do if it finds a Makefile.in for example ? is it a generated file (by
automake) or a source file (for autoconf) ?). I agree with bzr not
having the right ignore patterns if _I_ am the one who specified the
patterns, but not with some somewhat automatic guessing.

I want the default behavior to be predictible and reproducible.

(in addition, your "linux" package of ignore patterns is not
relevant : not because you did "init" on a linux box that the project
will not be worked on on another platform)

--
Matthieu