[MERGE][RFC] further add performance improvements

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Wed May 31 08:45:00 BST 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 10:46:37 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 23 May 2006, John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> > I was very surprised to see that switching to a 2-line format
> > drastically improved the performance.
> [...]
> > So I'm guessing we might want to revisit the implementation of rio.
> > Having continuation lines really hurts its performance. Or at least, I
> > was able to double its performance by using this:
>
> Either revisit the implementation, or consider whether the inventories
> (and in particular the working inventory) should be done through a
> special case.  For example we know which fields can be unicode, which
> can contain whitespace or unusual characters, etc.  We might as well
> make use of this.   Now that the working tree, repository, etc are
> versioned there is perhaps less need to have every single field
> explicitly tagged.

Note, that proposals like keyword expansion, newline conversion and such
are still lying around. They will need to add thngs to inventory and
proposal was to make it possible for plugins to add them as well (eg. a
plugin to track unix permissions would be pretty useful for things like
managing /etc, but it shouldn't be added to the core).

I would really love to see comparison with yaml. After all it is quite
similar to rio, but a bit more general and standartized. Unfortunately
there does not seem to be python2.4-syck in Debian yet! However, looking
through the web I found a pure-python yaml implementation at
http://pyyaml.org/. Trying both their libraries (PySync (C) and PyYAML
(Python)) could be interesting.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>