Changesets feature complete

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed May 24 00:12:37 BST 2006

On 20 May 2006, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> >This is by design.  'Changeset' is a really bad word to describe what
> >these things have become-- they're more like a collection of revisions
> >in a textual format.

I agree; it's used for too many things.

"Change pack", "patchset", "change bundle", ...?

> I should clarify that it's by the *current* design.  I'm not stuck on it.
>
> I want mailing changesets to be a viable alternative to publishing
> branches, so I think we need to do this *some of the time*, at least.
> But perhaps that should be reserved for the "bzr cset -r 6
> TARGET_BRANCH" form.

I want them to be an alternative to publishing too, so that in cases
like Alexander people are not held back by lack of an http host.  That
means that in at least some cases we want to send a history of all
changes along the way.

But we also want the posted thing to be suitable for code review, which
usually wants a single diff spanning the whole thing.

So in some cases I think we will want *both* the overall and individual
diffs, possibly with the individual diffs packed up (e.g. in a
zip mime attachment) so they don't clutter up the review.

--
Martin Pool