benchmark selftests

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon May 22 14:49:26 BST 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 22 May 2006, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
>> I like the ideas, I just don't want us to be hamstrung by a commit policy.
>
> I think logging the performance would be good; I wouldn't want to start
> rejecting commits based on it certainly for a long time.
>
> At the moment we have a bit of a target rich environment and the big
> thing is to add more benchmarks and fix the obvious things they point
> out.
>
> Once we are through that we'll want to watch for any performance
> regressions from one release to the next, but not necessarily in every
> commit that comes along.  As you say it's fine to temporarily get slower
> to clean up the code or fix a bug -- conceivably the previous version was
> fast but unsafe, and it's impossible to make correct code be that fast.
> Still it could be good to get at least a warning if something suddenly
> gets worse.
>
> For the moment if would just be nice to have the system tell you, in any
> branch, whether you're making things worse or better.

I agree that it is nice to know how you are impacting performance. And I
even think it could be good to reject patches that slow things down a
lot. As long as there was a way to submit a patch that said "I know this
slows things down, but I need to commit it anyway".

We might be able to do some of that with the richer interface, rather
than the simple 1-command-per-line pqm that we have right now.