benchmark selftests

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue May 23 00:06:53 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 08:29 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > Further to the benchmark selftests...
> >
> > Martin and I have been talking about how best to provide a good
> > moving-picture view of the benchmark results.
> As long as there is a way to override this. I could see a case where we
> may need to do a correctness fix, which negatively effects performance.
> Or we may make a test longer, which doesn't specifically change
> performance, just checks for more things.
>
> And is this 50% faster than the fastest ever, or 50% off of the last time?

Naturally there would have to be an override. As Martin says turning
this sort of policy on is not an immediate thing. As far as overrides
go, I'd expect it to be a manual thing - a go and nuke the performance
data for instance. 50% of the fastest ever is what I was thinking, to
avoid creeping featuritis.
> I like the ideas, I just don't want us to be hamstrung by a commit policy.

Me neither.

Rob