[RFC] Re: short and long log messages

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Thu May 18 13:07:07 BST 2006

Martin Pool wrote:

> I know robert is fond of committing with -m and a single very long
> string.  Perhaps we should somehow let him specify a separate summary on
> the command line - most shells will anyhow let you continue a
> quoted string over two lines.  You can make shell command lines
> containing a newline in emacs but I'm not sure how in vi.

To make it easier for users to type everything on a command line
(multi-line shell commands are possible, but rarely comfortable), I can
see two solutions :

* Add another option, like Arch did (-m "foo" --body "bar")

* Allow \n in the message for a line break, like echo does.

The second one will probably please C programmers and old unix users,
but the first is more explicit to people not having this culture.

--
Matthieu