[links] reading Daily Python

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri May 12 19:15:48 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>
>> I think bzr should have a PyPI entry, and if possible, you should be
>> able to use:
>> easy_install bazaar-ng
>
> I used to think easy_install was a good idea, but now I no longer do.  I
> would rather have a single, monolithic installer that installs bzr, and
> installs the libraries we use inside the bzr directories.
>
> I like package management, but on platforms that have native package
> management (e.g. Debian, Red Hat, Ubuntu), having two package managers
> (e.g. apt & easy_install) leads to headaches.  For example, installing
> TurboGears on Debian is annoying, because it wants to install a
> different version of ElementTree, when I already have one.  And since I
> have packages installed that depend on ElementTree, I can't apt-get
> remove ElementTree, either.
>
> There is also the possibility of incompatibility between specific
> versions of bzr and specific versions of the libraries it uses.
>
> So for systems with package management, bzr can be a package that
> depends on ElementTree, etc, and things will work smoothly.  Or if
> there's no package for that platform, then people can install everything
> bzr needs all at once, in a way that won't interfere with anything else
> that's installed on the system.
>
> easy_install, when used as intended, represents a middle path that I'm
> not comfortable walking.
>
> Aaron

Another small problem with using easy_install is that it leaves a
.python_eggs directory in the root directory of 'bzr' after running
selftest. Simply because we set HOME there for test cases that don't
have a special directory.

Its a bit of clutter that is just unfortunate. Would it be better to
make $HOME => test000?.tmp instead?
Then everything would get cleaned up when we finish. I think the only
major change is that TestCase would now need to create the test000?.tmp
directory, and that may be violating the "TestCase works only in memory"
stuff.

What I like about easy_install, is that it makes it very easy for a user
to say "I want to try out bzr... easy_install bazaar-ng". I certainly
agree that using multiple package managers is a big pain.

(And how egg files leave stuff in $HOME is a little ugly too)