[links] reading Daily Python

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu May 11 18:52:02 BST 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Reading Daily Python today I found several interesting links.
>
> This pair could be useful for windows support improvements.
>
> * Copy huge files on Windows avoiding system cache misbehaviour
>     http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/496694
>
>     This recipe uses pywin32 in order to copy files making use of
>     the win32file.FILE_FLAG_SEQUENTIAL_SCAN, which makes much more
>     efficient use of the system cache (only a few megabytes are
>     consumed instead of caching the whole file).

Do we have any files that are more than a "few megabytes"? The largest
weaves I've found were around 6MB, and while they will get bigger, with
repositories I find that I copy them very rarely. It doesn't seem worth
a lot of platform specific code.

> * Windows shortcuts import hook
>     http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/496692
>
>     This simple import hook can resolve Windows shortcuts refering
>     to directories. This allows Windows users to simulate UNIX
>     directory structures which contain symlinks.

This would be kind of neat, but I don't know that it effects us a lot (yet).

> Pair of announces:
>
> * paramiko 1.6
>     http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/paramiko/1.6
>
>      I help a little to Robey to test paramiko on Windows and Cygwin,
>     so in this new version he fix some specific problems. For more
>     details ask him directly.
>
> * Mercurial on PyPI
>     http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Mercurial/
>
>     As continuation of John's threads about Public Impressions
>     I want to mention that Mercurial has their own entry on PyPI.
>     Why bzr does not have?
>
> --
> Alexander

I think bzr should have a PyPI entry, and if possible, you should be
able to use:
easy_install bazaar-ng

And get cElementTree, paramiko, pycurl, etc. (Pycurl may not be as
important a dependency, but the other two are).

Since Robey has one, maybe he knows what it takes to get a cheeseshop entry.