confused by repositories

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu May 11 02:20:00 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 10:58 +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:

> So you have to tell bzr not to push if you're offline?  I guess it's an ok
> workaround but I'd prefer not to have to worry; muscle-memory and all that
> means I'm going to forget frequently...

Its basically a tradeoff.

Having bzr 'know' that you are offline or online is bad because its more
state about what you are doing that bzr will hold, which means we have
to expose it, have to have ways to turn it on and off, and you can
equally well forget to go online again, leaving code committed locally
but not published.

Having bzr autodetect was considered, but considered harmful for similar
reasons : we'd have to tell the user whats going on, leading to
confusion, and there are failure modes with e.g. wireless networks, that
can lead to long delays with no feedback before we can detect the
failure, and we'd still need a knob to say 'I know better' - for
instance when you are connected on a really bad link and dont want lots
of stale locks to clean.

So the compromise is that you can tell bzr you're offline, and if you
forget to tell bzr it assumes you are online and attempts to push.

Rob