Simplified Tutorial

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 00:39:42 BST 2006

This is a very useful document! A few comments/questions:

> A shared repository is a storage that can contain multiple branches.
> By putting the branches in a shared repository, they will use the same
> storage for things that are the same between different branches.  It
> is recommended to keep related branches in a shared repository.
>
> Branches in bzr can also be standalone, in this case, each branch does
> not share the same storage.
>
> The setup described in this document is where you have one centralized
> shared repository on a central server. This repository is then used by
> all developers.  In this setup, each developer needs to be able to

In the last paragraph, does "shared" have the meaning of "shared by
several users" or "shared because there are several branches". If the
later, why/how does that relate to  the cvs/svn-like usage.

> Creating a centralized shared storage
> =====================================
>   $ bzr init-repo sftp://bzr@server/path/to/repo
> to create the shared repository.
>
> In this repository, you need to create a branch, this is done with the
> command "bzr init", for example
>   $ bzr init sftp://bzr@server/path/to/repo/branch
> will create a branch named "branch" inside the repository.

I have several doubts:

- If I understand correctly, the "recipe" is for a directory that
doesn't yet exist

- If /path/to/repo exists and has files already, shouldn't we use "bzr
init" followed  by "bzr add"?

Best,

R.

--