questions from a new bzr user

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Fri May 5 14:25:09 BST 2006

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:

> 1. I have a "central repository" in a server, and then do my work on,
> say, a laptop. Other colleagues might be doing the same. Now, I'd like
> to store my changes in the server. As my colleagues might have been
> editing the same files, I use merge, not push. However, to use merge I
> need to log into the server, and do a merge from there. Is there a way
> to do the merge (going from my laptop to the server) issuing the
> command from my laptop?

As others have pointed out, checkouts are the simplest solution (and
commit --local is also something great).

I just wanted to mention that checkouts are just a way to automate what
you could have done manually :

Say, you have a branch on a server S, and a working branch W. To write
to S, you need to use "push", which only works if the branch haven't
diverged, (i.e the last revision of S is an ancestor of W IIRC). If
someone else pushed to S, you'll need merge, but you can do the merge
from S to W. Then you have a convergence of your branches, and you can
use push again. The result should be the same as merging directly to S
and then pulling to W.

--
Matthieu