questions from a new bzr user

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Fri May 5 10:15:13 BST 2006

On 5/5/06, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've recently started using bzr, after considering several other
> options (some of my tribulations and reasons for choice are listed at
> http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/VersionControl.html). bzr is a very nice
> piece of software, and is actually quite enjoyable to use!!!
>

> I have, however, a couple of questions for which I can find no answer:
>
> 1. I have a "central repository" in a server, and then do my work on,
> say, a laptop. Other colleagues might be doing the same. Now, I'd like
> to store my changes in the server. As my colleagues might have been
> editing the same files, I use merge, not push. However, to use merge I
> need to log into the server, and do a merge from there. Is there a way
> to do the merge (going from my laptop to the server) issuing the
> command from my laptop?

The normal way to do it, is to have a checkout on your laptop (from
the branches on the server), then you merge into that checkout. That
will have the wanted effect.

So, basically
bzr checkout sftp://user@server/path/to/branch serverbranch
cd serverbranch
bzr merge ../laptopbranch
bzr commit -m 'merge from laptop branch'

Now and then, you might get a message saying that you need to run "bzr
update", then you... run "bzr update" before the merge

> 2. I cannot find post 0.7 releases of bzrtools as the link from the
> plugins page takes me to an empty directory. Either the sources or a
> deb would be fine. I found the deb package, but it depends on an
> ubuntu package; I can force installation, and it seems to work, but I
> don't like it. Are there places/repositories I am missing?

Sorry, I only use the bzr.dev bzr tree. I think that once 0.8 get's
released, this will be taken care of.

/Erik