poll on unicode usage

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Thu May 4 07:09:32 BST 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 16:10:40 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> Just a couple of quick questions particularly for people using
> languages other than English:
>
>  1- Would you ever want to have bzr branches at a URL that includes
> non-ascii characters?

Probably not. Though I will probably want non-ascii filenames within
sooner or later.

>  2- Do you think it's common or uncommon to have URLs that use
> encodings other than UTF-8?

If you include query string (which are part of URL, of course ;-)), than
yes. It takes work to switch encodings, so as long as the current
applications using legacy encodings work, nobody is going to change
them. It's uncommon to have any non-ascii in paths.

As for ssh it treats paths as byte-strings and does not care about
encodings, so it will use whatever local encoding is. I don't use
non-ascii paths for branches, but I do use them for other things.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>