[MERGE] support import into empty branch.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed May 3 23:17:29 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 15:30 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > If a version is not constructable baz-import will fail and leave an
> > empty branch behind.
>
> This seems like a sloppy way to operate.  If we aren't able to complete
> the operation, shouldn't we remove the empty directory?
>
> > Likewise if someone does 'init' then 'baz-import'
> > it will fail.
> >
> > The former is a significant problem because it makes the archive
> > unimportable - I think its nicer to treat an empty branch (no commits)
> > as a new dir to import into.
>
> Well, I don't think it makes much sense to permit importing into empty
> branches, but if you want it, you can have it.

Well, I can redo the patch to something you are happy with : The problem
I wish to solve is running baz-import twice on an inaccessible branch.

I chose the approach I did so that the branch is visible in the
directory listing rather than being invisible - this is the comparable
to the way other branches that suffer errors behave.

Rob