0.8 release plans

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue May 2 15:13:29 BST 2006

Erik Bågfors wrote:
> 2006/5/2, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net>:
>> I'd like to try to do a second 0.8 candidate this week and try to lead
>> from there to actually doing a release.
>>
>> I know there are still some issues reported since 0.8rc1, or even
>> earlier.
>> Quite are number are things that we should fix, but not things that need
>> to be fixed before we can make a release that is an improvement on 0.7.
>> I want to stress that's the criteria: we don't want to hold off on
>> releasing until it's perfect; but rather to just have some improvements
>> and few or no regressions compared to the previous release.
>>
>> (Any project in fairly active development is not likely to cooperatively
>> come down to zarro boogs on every release, unless the release is delayed
>> for a very long time, and I for one would like to get into regular,
>> monotonically improving releases.)
>
> I would love to see that as well.  In fact, so much has happened
> between 0.7 and 0.8 that a user would have to relearn a few things.  I
> would love to see more regulat updates more often and with less new
> features.
>
>> Robert and I (and anyone who wants to join us on #bzr) will be trying to
>> make an 0.8rc2 in the next one or two days, with the intention that this
>> will be released if there are no critical problems.
>>
>> Here are the things I think we must do:
>>
>>  - get another +1 and merge Alexander's small encoding fix
>>  - win32 fixes from Alexander, particularly deletion of readonly files.
>>    (any issues from Aaron?)
>>  - break-lock command, #5988
>>  - reweave parent ordering, #29674 (fix committed?)
>>  - sftp push requires a working tree,
>>  - default to no diff prefixes?
>>  - update documentation & wiki for new features
>>
>> See also
>>
>>   https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+milestone/0.8
>>
>> Please help me update this list.  If there are things you think we
>> really must do for 0.8 please make sure there is a bug filed, and reply
>> in this thread so we can find it.
>
> I would love to be able to run "bzr branch $remoterepo/branch1
> $remoterepo/branch2" :)
> But I'm fine with that comming later.
>
> /Erik

That works with my encoding branch (switching to URLs forces certain
APIs to not care whether a file is local or remote).

I tested it, and it does indeed work. I can see a potential bug with how
'cmd_branch' is written, such that if it tries to branch, but the
revision is not present it uses shutil.rmtree() to delete the output. So
failure modes aren't great, but it does work for successful attempts.

Anyway, the encoding stuff looks like it is going to be blocked until
0.8.1, but if we can get it into 0.8.1 and into Dapper, I think we'll be
doing great.

At this point, I think the biggest thing for 0.8 is getting the
documentation up to date with all the new development.