tree transform is malformed ??

Aaron Bentley abentley at aaronbentley.com
Mon May 1 05:37:31 BST 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>
>> 0.8$ bzr checkout
>> bzr: ERROR: Tree transform is malformed [('duplicate', 'new-2',
>> 'new-330', u'.rsyncexclude')]
>>
>> What does this represent ?
>

> This is a conflict.  It means the transform is trying to create a
> situation in which there are two files with the same name.
>
> The most likely cause is doing a checkout in directory that already has
> a .rsyncexclude in it.

build_tree was built on the assumption that the target directory was
empty, and it would not make sense to do conflict resolution if that
were the case.  Apparent conflicts would actually be programming errors,
and doing conflict resolution would mask them.

So when you posted your patch to make checkout work in non-empty
directories, I vetoed it, because it didn't update build_tree to do
conflict resolution.

I don't think we should release with checkout in this state; either you
should revert your patch to permit checkouts in non-empty directories,
or you should update build_tree to do conflict resolution.

Aaron