About encoding issues

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Tue Apr 25 06:23:46 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 19:00:37 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 24/04/2006, at 6:52 PM, Jan Hudec wrote:
>
> >Yes. I thought about this as well. But it would be harder to debug.
> >
> >What we could do is write a special codec, that would log all it's
> >uses
> >to special log (it would have to avoid getting it's output hidden by
> >the test runner) and then call to ascii codec. But it needs someone to
> >find out how to register a codec and implement it.
>
> Maybe something like 'undefined', but issuing warnings rather than
> exceptions when something goes wrong?

Yes. Well, since it would issue just a warning, it would have to return
something afterwards, so it would probably end up calling the ascii codec
anyway. Perhaps it could do some notable change, like turning everything to
uppercase, so we easily see the efect on a string as well.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>