pre-commit hooks and $Id$ banners?

Jamie Wilkinson jaq at spacepants.org
Sun Apr 23 14:43:51 BST 2006

This one time, at band camp, Igor Goryachev wrote:
>On 23 Apr 2006, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
>
>>> Are there any plans on implementing pre-commit hooks? How could I
>>> help with that?
>>>
>>> And is it possible (and how better?) to implement banners $Id$,
>>> $Revision$ support like in CVS or Subversion? I do really need this
>>> because I work with specific OTP software which handles this stuff
>>> and acts somehow according to it.
>>
>> I hope not, I've always detested revision control software that
>> modifies the code after it's been committed.
>
>Have you meant _before_ the commit?

Ah, yeah, sorry.  I've had a few drinks.

I mean, I assume a pre-commit hook runs just after one types 'bzr commit' on
the command line but just before it actually does the commit work.  So when
I say "modifies the code after it's been committed", I mean, commits
something different than what I expected it to -- if in the future I ask for
this specific revision back, I shld get exactly what I had in my working
tree at the time.

Sure it's pedantic, but it's a necessary part of QA and software engineering
to be able to accurately describe the source code at any discreet point in
time.