[merge] updated store-escaping for windows

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Apr 13 16:36:46 BST 2006

Martin Pool wrote:

> On 13/04/2006, at 9:38 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
>>
>> That new patch looks better.
>>
>> Some more things though - this patch breaks bzrtools - it alters the
>> signature of set_inventory to require 5 rather than 4 items in each row.
>> I know we can go and update bzrtools too - but we should document the
>> API change (which has been otherwise stable for ages) in NEWS, and/or
>> version this change - either probe for the number of elements or
>> deprecate the current call and add a new one that takes 5 items. The old
>> one then just rewrites the input.
>
> I didn't intend to change the API, it just also came through from John's
> old branch.  I don't think it's used and it doesn't do anything very
> useful, so I'll try to change it back.
>
> In fact the WorkingTree.set_inventory API is very old fashioned in
> taking a list of strings like this, so perhaps we should deprecate it
> and have a new method that just takes an Inventory object?  It looks
> like that would fit into bzrtools OK.
>
>> Also, you are using deprecated apis in your tests, so there is a lot of
>> stipple created.
>
> Also just leftover code from before; I'll have a look.
>
> --Martin

That was a hack to make the "executable" bit work correctly. Aaron's
latest TreeTransform stuff does it correctly. So please revert the
signature to 4 entries rather than my 5. It never covered all cases, but
did allow for checking out bzr on a win32 machine, without it setting
the executable bit to false for everything.