[MERGE] allow 'bzr checkout' to reconstitute working trees.

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Apr 4 07:19:12 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 02:07 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> | I would like constructing a tree here to have the following
> properties:
> | If the tree contains a .bzr dir - bail.
> | If the tree contains a subdir that is present on disk, merge the
> | contents thereof
>
> So where a file has the same name as a versioned file, we would treat
> it
> as if it were that versioned file?

If the file is a directory, I think we need to - to handle nested
branches.

If the file is not a directory, then - whatever the current conflict
code does is fine by me.

> ~ and generate conflicts with the contents of the
> | directory, but never the directory itself
>
> Or are you saying we should move existing files out of the way here?

Whatever the current code does is fine for me. its only directories I
think will need some form of special case. Mind you - the specified
special casing for handling directories in the TreeRootId spec[s] is
essentially the same - so perhaps a generalised version of that will do
the right thing and we have nothing to worry about.

> ~ - so that the .bzr dir of
> | nested branches is not moved out of the way.
> |
> | How does that sound?
>
> I think it sounds okay.  It sounds like a new resolution scheme,
> though.
> ~ So far, we've gotten by with just one.

I agree that not adding a new scheme is desirable.

Rob