Replacing email in bazaar repository + bzrk

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 20:16:12 GMT 2006

2006/3/7, Joseph Wakeling <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net>:
> No, I read the bit about setting your email in the bazaar.conf or
> branches.conf file.  That's done. :-)
>
> But I have a whole load of edits in the repository credited to
> <myuser at mycomputer>.  I'd like to be able to replace all of these if
> that's possible.

Glad to here that I'm not the only one that finds it confusing that it
just adds commits with a "guessed" email address..  There was a thread
about this resently where I tried to say that this was bad :)

> I'm sure it's quite easy with a shell command (gawk?) but since I'm not
> too hot with bash I thought I'd better ask here since I don't want to
> break my repository. :-)

Someone else has to answer this..

> Second issue: I downloaded and installed bzrk using the standard python
> setup.py install.  The directory
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/plugins/bzrk now contains the
> following files:
>
>     branchwin.py   bzrkapp.py   diffwin.py   graphcell.py   graph.py
>     __init__.py
>     branchwin.pyc  bzrkapp.pyc  diffwin.pyc  graphcell.pyc  graph.pyc
>     __init__.pyc
>
> But, if I go into a branch and type bzr visualise or bzr viz,
>
>     bzr: WARNING: Unable to load plugin 'bzrk' from
>     '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/plugins'
>     bzr: ERROR: unknown command 'viz'
>
> What's wrong here?

First of all, which bzr are you running? bzr 0.7 which is the latest
release and bzr 0.8 which hasn't been released yet, has changed the
API a bit. Some branches of bzrk can only handle 0.7 and some are
updated to 0.8. I'm not sure if the once updated to 0.8 can handle 0.7
bzr, but I think so.

To install, I recommend you don't install it with setup.py but rather do this
mkdir -p ~/.bazaar/plugins
cd ~/.bazaar/plugins
bzr branch URL_TO_PLUGIN [pluginname]

Then, if you are running 0.8, try my bzrk branch at
http://erik.bagfors.nu/bzr/plugins/bzrk.erik

There are other branches as well, that are updated. There is also an
effort to put back the best of them into a main bzrk branch, but right
now it's somewhat messy.

But here is actually a proof of the good things about distributed VCS.
The original bzrk developer has been busy or something, so he hasn't
really kept up with maintaining it. But anyway, lot's of other
branches has poped up, and there are multiple versions that exists,
are being developed, etc.  That's REALLY cool to see.

/Erik