[RFC] New name for 'repositories' - 'baskets'

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 18:44:53 GMT 2006

2006/3/3, Jan Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>:
> It never does any good if the same term is used with two meanings in the same
> context:

Which two meanings? we are talking about repositories, same thing.
Just two different "versions" of them.

> You create standalone branch by 'bzr branch' command.
> Branches store revision data in repositories.
> Repository is created with 'bzr make-repository'.
> So do I need to do 'bzr make-repository' to create a stand-alone branch?

I really don't understand what the fuss is all about.  This is easily
explained with just a few sentences.  I personally, do not belive bzr
users are so stupid that they will not understand when you explain it.

See my explanation earlier, nobody has said that it is hard to
understand, or that users will not understand it after reading it. Why
complicate things with even more terminology?
a VCS is a complicated thing, and some reading and studying is
required, this is true for cvs/svn as well, and it is even more true
with bzr, since it can do so much more than cvs/svn. By adding new
terminology we will just make it harder to study/learn.

A repository is a repository, is a repository, it can contain multiple
branches or it can be part of a branch in the case of a stand alone
branch.  We still have to explain stand alone branches vs. branches
that are part of a repository, why can't we explain shared and
none-shared repository?

Regards,
Erik