plugin names

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Feb 23 20:36:52 GMT 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 08:05 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> Martin Pool wrote:

>>> That would be OK, though might break some people who have checkouts in
>>> their plugin directory called say 'gannotate.mbp'.
>>>
>> I don't really see why. It is actually possible to use any name using
>> 'getattr' and 'setattr'.
>> You can do:
>
> Because if I in another plugin want to access an illegally named plugin
> its unpleasant to have to use gettattr.
>
> Rob

Well, I think we have a deeper issue here. That I can name a plugin
whatever I want in the local directory. For example, I have a
"bzrtools-baz2bzr" in ~/.bazaar/plugins.

So while technically the plugin is called 'bzrtools', the path to it is
through bzrtools-baz2bzr.

I think a better way to 'fix' this, is that plugins can declare their
official name. And when loading, they will be loaded into that
namespace, so that other plugins can access it.

As it stands now, it is fairly fragile to have one plugin expect to be
able to find another one.

I also don't think we should disable loading because of a non-accessible
name.