With TreeTransform bzr revert after uncommit causes conflicts with reverted files.

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Feb 22 04:53:16 GMT 2006

On 21 Feb 2006, John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > The old merge code used to overwrite them, it's true.  I'm not sure if
> > that jibes with keeping backup files in the first place.  Of course, I'd
> > rather not keep backup files...
>
> Vim defaults to overwriting a backup file if it is present, depending on
> your settings. (It can support the foo.~1~ foo.~2~ ... versioning).
>
> I don't ever use the backup files. But to me a foo~ file is meant to
> say, give me a single version safety net. So if I *just* did something
> bad, I can fix it.
> It isn't meant to be a 'I never want to lose anything' system.
>
> Do other people have a feeling about this? I would like to see us not
> create more and more backup files.

I agree: ~ files are a kind of "weak" backup, not meant to be strongly
preserved, and it's probably OK for bzr to just write over them.  (We
could implement file.~n~ numbered backups sometime.)

Many unix tools can be configured to ignore tilde backups (e.g. gnu ls
-B) so it's a reasonable name.

I suppose patch uses .orig and .rej instead, but as far as I know it
just overwrites them after the first time.

--
Martin