converting standalone branches to shared ones...

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Feb 20 00:32:46 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 18:09 -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:01:10AM +1100 I heard the voice of
> Robert Collins, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Say you have a standalone branch underneath a repository, and you
> > want to make it use the repository for storage...
> >
> >  [...]
> >
> > I'd like to make this available from the console ui... any
> > suggestions where?
>
> Well, generalize a bit; we don't really want to solve "How do I move a
> standalone branch 'under' a repository into the shared store", we want
> to solve "How do I turn a standalone branch into a repository branch,
> and vice versa?"

uhm, there are related issue there sure.

> In one sense, this is pretty much just a "branch" (into/outof the
> repository from/to the standalone), followed by a "switch"-type
> operation on the working tree.  So it sorta makes sense to have an arg
> to "branch" do it.

But its not a 'branch' operation - we are not creating a new line of
development, we are changing the storage of an existing line of
development. VERY different intent there, and I think its confusing to
say to people 'make a new line of development to optimise your storage
use'.

Rob