bzr speed

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Feb 17 22:33:41 GMT 2006

James Blackwell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:45:09PM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> Would using .listing files like GNU Arch uses help at all?
>
> Nope. We already know which files are there. I have my guesses on why the
> current pushes and pulls suck so horribly bad. Its a moot point though, as
> there's a new thing going in that will push those pushes and pulls down
> from 80 minutes down to about 3.

Actually, it would help. The reason sftp is faster than http is because
we aren't parsing our own information to figure out what we need to
pull. (And probably we have better keepalive and pipeline support).

But it wouldn't help as much as some other changes, which also don't
have the same security concerns.